Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Me and my boyfriend have just bought a house, the garden swung it for us. A victorian semi with a garage and a nice big garden.

It has three large cicular flower beds which used to be fish ponds, and a shed which I immediately claimed as MY place for potting and growing! So, now I have a garden and a shed and I'm trying to grow food to make some attempt at living the 'good life'.

Nothing food wise goes to waste in our house, we'll eat all we can but if it's slightly slug chewed or over ripe the parrots and the chinchilla gets a nice share; offcuts, skins and extra that the birds don't eat go to the dogs (brilliant as they're on the BARF diet - Bear is particularly partial to strawberries and mange tout), and in the unlikely event that there's anything left after that chain of consumption then the worms get a look in...


To feed this little lot I've planted quite a range of veggies, and am now practically watching them grow until the moment I can pick them. So far this year we've had mange tout, carrots, strawberries and of course salad leaves, and I'm waiting for my little courgettes to swell to a pickable size, and my toms to blush in the warm summer sun.

Now I just need to work out what to start sowing and when to try and get autumn and winter veggies for my table, my dogs, and my birds. Google will be my friend... :o)

No comments: