Friday, June 28, 2013

I unexpectedly met a rhino beetle...

I was up at Eliot nature reserve on Swift's Hill at the opening of the new Laurie Lee Wood nature reserve, a woodland recently purchased by Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust, when I stumbled across my first rhino beetle!

The view up there is amazing, a beautiful sweeping view across the Slad Valley, that favourite haunt of Laurie Lee.

The afternoon was serendipitous and I enjoying the atmosphere; soaking up that rare day of warm (and surprisingly not wet) weather.

 The balmy afternoon and gorgeous view were topped off with an unexpected meeting with this rhino beetle.

Rhino beetle - Sinodendron cylindricum 

Though tiny (about 1.5-2cm big) it was brilliant to see this little beetle with it's big personality, I think it had come over from the ancient beech woodland next door.

Rhino beetle - Sinodendron cylindricum

I took a few images and then it splayed it's wings, and flew.

Rhino beetle - Sinodendron cylindricum

I wish I could have got the other angle and seen it with it's wings wide open but I still think it was a great experience and one which will stick with me. It was my first rhino beetle.

It was in was in a beautiful location. I was happy!

No comments: